There’s no place like home - without a doubt!
We all dream of an abode that’s well-designed and is equipped with all the conveniences to make life simple. Yet, we balk at the idea of maintaining it on a regular basis! After all, the house can’t clean itself.
It’s important to remember that a beautiful home needs the effort to keep it that way!
We’ve put together a few simple tips to help you plan your interiors in a way that makes it easier to manage!
Tips For A Home That’s Easy To Clean And Maintain!
For a low-maintenance home, choosing the right materials which are durable, easy to maintain, and at the same time, suit your requirements is absolutely essential!
Stone floorings are more popular in India rather than carpets or wooden floors. Vitrified tiles, granite, and marble are some of the popular choices since they are easy to maintain and clean.
Choose paints like semi-gloss paint and satin paints which produce a visible shine to walls and are also durable and washable. They are very suitable for high moisture areas because of cleaning ease.
Consider vinyl wall coverings which can be easily wiped down and are affordable.
Choose upholstery fabrics that are durable, stain resistant and easy to clean. Cotton or cotton/polyester blends, though comfortable, are not suitable for daily heavy use. Leather, microfiber, and vinyl are good choices.
Choose darker colours like grey, black, or red to hide stains. Regular wiping using a damp cloth is all you need to do.
You could also custom-make slipcovers for easy-clean upholstery.
4. Kitchen Layouts
C-shaped, L-shaped and parallel kitchens are popular in urban kitchens since they save you a lot of space, and are easy to maintain!
Quartz is a popular choice for countertops in recent times. It has the look and performance of stone such as granite or marble, but won’t stain and is non-porous. It is low-maintenance and very easy to clean.
6. Kitchen Cabinets
- Choose smooth solid ones which can be easily wiped down with a sponge. Though white would look extremely attractive, it would be a cleaning nightmare...especially for an Indian kitchen! Choose darker colours in satin or gloss finishes which look attractive and are easy-peasy when it comes to maintenance.
- Glass window cabinets are useful as they allow you to look inside without opening, however, they might require regular cleaning due to dust and dirt. Frosted glass windows are recommended. Use dark shade frames around the glass to keep you from high-end maintenance and cleaning.
- Avoid open cabinets as much as you can! Indian cooking involves a lot of frying, tadkas, and usage of colourful spices which will eventually find their way inside your open shelves... You would end up cleaning grease and splatter from the insides of your cabinets to the outside!
- A powerful stovetop chimney will vent away smoke and grease without affecting your cabinets. Make it a habit to cook covered to avoid splattering. Immediate cleaning of spills will ensure that no stains get left behind.
- Place your washing sink away from wood to avoid mold and rot.
Intelligent usage of small spaces is a necessity in most urban homes, and is also one way to ensure that there isn’t much clutter on display!
- Many homes have window seat storages which help store bedding, toys and other odd stuff that may be required daily.
- “If you lack space, just look up!” Cabinets of ceiling height are useful in saving space and storing away things that aren't used regularly.
- A bed with built-in storage or a sofa that doubles up as a bed with storage underneath is great for small homes.
- Make your walls work overtime for you by adding shelves in the bedroom or kitchen walls.
- Get canisters or wicker baskets for storing your bathroom essentials.
And… Some ‘Everyday’ Tips To Keep Your Home Beaming!
- Make your bed as soon as you wake up. Coming back home to a well-made bed is a feeling like no other.
- Once you are done using the bathroom, keep toiletries in place. Wipe water off the wet floors.
- Make it a habit to throw your used clothes in a laundry bag and not on the chairs or couch. Avoid that sinking feeling when you see unwashed clothes lying around the house when you return!
- Put back things in their respective shelves/cupboards/racks immediately after use. This not only ensures the place is organized, you can be sure of finding something the next time you need it!
- Dust one room every day. It will keep your home cleaner and healthier too!
- Use a corner of your living room foyer space for a shoe rack. Encourage family members to keep away used shoes before they get into the house.
- Wipe kitchen counters and cabinets once daily. Empty and clean the refrigerator at least once a week.
- It is a good idea to designate boxes and shelves for children’s toys, books, and clothes where they can put them away easily.
- When you get up from your couch or chair, just keep the rugs and cushions in place. It will take only a minute!
- Do not leave used dishes on the table, instead soak them in the sink or rinse them in plain water before leaving in the sink. By doing so, you wash away food matter and debris that may harden or attract household pests.
- Manage clutter daily! Put away newspapers or magazines lying around. Designate fixed places for mobile chargers and TV remotes.
- Discard trash every day to ensure your home is clean and odour free.
- Declutter your belongings like books, toys and clothes regularly and consider donating them to your household help or a children's home.
Designing a home is a one-time affair, but maintaining it is a lifelong task! Some intelligent planning followed by an everyday maintenance routine will give you the picture-perfect home that you so desire and deserve!
Get in touch with one of Hipcouch’s experts to design a home that’s attractive and practical!